Sunday, June 28, 2009

dogs

I love dogs, most animals. I have two dogs I love very much.

But never have I come so close to shooting so many dogs or threatening to shoot dogs.

I have owners ask the dog to come bite me as I stand at the edge of there property.

It isn't the dogs fault.

I have dogs chained to the house. The never go anywhere. They bark and lunge as I move to the house to look for the owner.

I have dogs come around the corner, stop and stare considering what is going on before barking and turning to flee.

I have no qualms. I will shoot the dog. They aren't my dogs. I would prefer not to, but as RD says and LE say, "I get to go home".

Today there is an alarm. I am the cover unit. D arrives first, with me a close second. He stands at the gate, looking around, not going to the house.

-why aren't you in the yard?
"there are dogs"
-dogs?
"you don't want to mess with the dogs and I don't know where they are"
-okay

-I rattle the fence. Three dogs come running. 1 large pit, 1 large chocolate lab and 1 husky "pup". They all charge and bark.

I switch to my puppy voice (the one I use for my dogs). I put my hand down by the fence and look at my feet, but keep an eye on the dogs.

They all take turns smelling my hand. I pet all three and give them a scratch. They decide I am a friend. I hop the fence with three dogs following and looking for attention.

We clear the house and leave making sure the dogs can't get into the roadway.

D says, "last time there were 2 adult German Shepherds in the yard. They wouldn't have let us near the gate."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home