Sunday, April 11, 2010

The life you save

Holding over for a short shift, 12 hours into my day and 20 minutes until i am supposed to go off duty. I drive around watching as cars go about.
I spot a car with no taillights and going to fast.
I stop the car and check them out.
As I run the driver a group of vehicles passes my patrol car. All but the last slows down and gets over. The last, a SUV, never slows down and comes within a foot of my car.
I quickly give a warning to the driver and return to my patrol vehicle and take off after the SUV. It is about 200 feet ahead. It turns into a late night diner, hitting the curb as it enters the parking lot.

I am behind the vehicle as it parks, lights on, out of the car before the driver knows what is going on.
The diner patrons are all looking out the window.
-hello I am DD, any reason you didn't slow down or move out of the lane?
glassy eyed and smelling of beer "I thought I did"
-do you realize you are required to do slow down and/or move out of my lane? do you realize how close you came to my car? how much did you have to drink?
"i thought I slowed down, i don't know. a beer"
I call for a cover unit and start the FSTs. He fails. I transport him to jail and he apologizes the whole way to jail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home