Sunday, January 17, 2010

Drunk Dialling

on my short Friday. i snag call after call.
there comes a call from the north edge of the pond. dispatch doesn't know what it is.
"male calling from the North, saying someone took his wife's car and can't make anything else out sounds intoxicated."

I call the number I speak with the male.
-hello this is DD, who am I talking to
"yarmm yarn namm"
-where are you?
"uuuummmgh
-do you need help
"yaaagh
It goes on for several minutes. He is says some words, but I can tell he is slurring his words. I can hear cars go by.

With no name, good location or idea what is going on other than a drunk guy calling.

Ten minutes later the man calls back able to tell dispatch he is in a ditch near two roads. Then the man's wife calls in with a better location. Which may belong to the state or my pond. It gets better it will be at least a hour to get there. EMTS are dispatched, state is dispatched, I head north (even though a traffic is on). Another officer going off duty is close and swings by. I have him notify with details.

It's my pond and he is drunk. I have him detain until I get there.

I arrive the same time OSP does. I talk to the EMTs. X is drunk and rambling. X had extension cords wrapped around his neck.

The pick up is missing its front tire. The trooper and I can't figure how the vehicle came to rest where it is. there are no tracks in the soft mud. Then we discover the tracks in the bush. X drove the truck through the woods (no road) hit a stump, which snapped the front right wheel and threw the vehicle forward, over some bushes and coming to rest 12 feet away from the stump. X is uncooperative and has a thousand stories. he fails the FST's. I take him to a sub-station with the Trooper. A light switch in X changes. He is friendly personable and cooperative. X has mental health problems. X traded his wife's car for the pick-up. She wasn't happy. X tried trade the truck back, the guy says no. X starts drinking and doesn't take his medication. X ends up driving the pickup through the woods and crashing it. X admits he was trying to kill himself when EMTs should up. X admits to drinking and driving. He fails the breathalyzer. X is in good spirits now.

"you guys saved my life tonight. i need help"
he sleeps the long drive to jail.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raindog said...

Goat Rope.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home