Sunday, April 20, 2008

So a long thought

So I recently was awarded for assisting in the life saving efforts in my local town. I did what was necessary and helped out like I thought I shoud. Nevermind it was my job, it was just the right thing to do. Anyhoot, as my parents came down to visit a day early to watch the ceremony and partake in the glow, even as my wife says it is a big deal. I still don't toot my own horn.

The actual ceremony was delayed to see if the gentleman would survive surgery and so he could present the award.

It does not sink in until as I walk to the hall with family, I see the gentleman and his wife walking towards us. I know it's him, even though the last time I saw him, he was blue on the floor. I introduce him to my family and we all walk to the hall. My co-workers who were involved and my boss and others gather to watch the ceremony. It is brief and to the point and we all file out. I see my parents talking to the man and his wife explaining what happened.

It is a big deal, but I can't grasp it. I don't know why. I hear their version of it. I remember the adrenaline dump.

I know have a pin I wear as proudly as the other "badges", even when co-workers give me the business.


It did make me think. I see that pin and I am reminded.
But it made me think of three others. My father, my brother and my FIL. All great men, great examples of adults; responsible, caring, generous, humble and honest (someone to have a beer with even though dad doesn't drink ... he makes a vegetable face when I give him a sip of beer). It reminds me of an interview I had once. I was asked who my hero was. I came up with some lame answer. But I had 3 great examples and I should have thought about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post J!

We are proud of you.

RD

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home