Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Look and Deer Slaying

The new shift has allowed for more time to fish in prime hours. How the other guy manages to do no stops and never initiates cases, I don't know.

I am on for a hour checking all of the spots for trouble, but there is none. My house that had nothing but nozzles has become quiet. Their lease is gone and so are they.
I am about to settle into one of my spots for speeders. When a car passes me going the other direction. It looks like a beat up Ford Taurus 90's addition, but not sure. The driver gives me the "look".

Now there can be many looks, but this one is specific. Unlike the others, this one never fails to give you hours of fun. I call it the "oh shit look". One the driver or passengers see the a cop car or a cop and immediately changed demeanor. The eyes bug, the posture changes, they tense up and the driving becomes either avoidance of your presence or super careful.

This nozzle choice the sudden turning of the car without proper signalling (my favorite pc). I can't get to him right away, so quickly circle the block. The driver is parking trying to walk off, again attempting to avoid me. I drive right up to him.

-You don't have a license do you?-
"no"
-okay lets go back the vehicle and see what we are going to do with you-
"ok"

He has been suspended since 1997. He is on probation. I ask if there is anything in car I should be concerned about.
" a little weed",
-okay. but nothing else-
I pat him for weapons and sit him down. I ask when is the last time he used.
"I don't use meth"
-what's with the meth sores all over your arms?
"i got skin cancer"
So, I know his ability to tell the truth maybe off. I check him for wants, none. I ask if I can search the car, he agrees.
I find the pot, a pot pipe and punching dagger in the door. I ask if the PO will detain, Yes. I impound the vehicle and take him to jail. He claims the knife is for defense, but later denies knowing anything about it. Felons can't have punching knives. His mom picks up his dog, so I don't have to take it the pound for the weekend.

That was the first 3 hrs of work. As it becomes dark I settle in for Church getting out and set up to catch speeders. The church outside of town has a lot of young people who don't drive slow and there is a large population of deer in town and just outside town, as well as the citizens of the pond.
And of course within 5 minutes a car is flying down the road, I pull out behind it and try to catch up with it. As I come around a slight bend the car has momentarily slowed. I wonder if they realised I am following them or what. I call out the stop and realise "the what".

"The what" is a deer that ran in front of them stopped went back towards the side of the road. Thinking it could pass after the speeder went by, it turned to attempt to make it across . That is where I (my vehicle and myself) briefly met with the deer as it turned it's head into my headlight. I stop behind the car and notify the other officer on to check on the deer.

The speeder wants to know if I hit the deer.
-Yup, that is why it is important not to speed-
"is it dead?"
-another officer is checking on it, but it is probably dead-
"it's my fault you hit the deer"
-yes and no-

I check the Crown Vic. and the only damage is the smaller left light on the front is broken. All the lights still work. The other officer tells me the deer is toast and has pulled it off the road.

I don't give the speeder a ticket, but she is crying about the deer. I leave to write the report, not happy about hitting the deer, but glad there only minor damage. For the amount of deer and amount of roadtime, I am surprised it's has been at least 2 years since any officer hit a deer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I'm sorry you hit a deer.

What's a punching knife?

6:02 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

a punching knife is a blade mounted on bar. the bar goes in the hand and the blade goes between the fingers. not a real reason to have that.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Alright, that's about what I had pictured.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a knife used to punch through the gaps in ribs and cause a wound to an internal organ.

RD

P.S. Sorry about the deer.......

10:11 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

didn't mind hitting the deer. sadly i was more worried about the car. that's how you end up with a nick-name, although mine still is birthday tow.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home