Monday, April 28, 2008

Deer

*warning if you are opposed the hearing about animal suffering, this post contains it*

So on a daily basis i see any where from 20-100 deer, 2-4 foxes, 30-40 turkeys, skunks, raccoons, not mention random dogs and cats. The run pretty freely through where I work, which is near a"major" highway and with touristas and hippies and drunks, there are a lot of near misses and occasional hits.

My experience have been odd in the hits.
-I watched as S. was next to a clearly wounded baby deer. That baby deer took 6 shots.
-I watched a deer impaled on a metal fence, free itself. I then followed the deer for 1 mile as its entrails hung out. Never getting close enough.
-And this week I am not busy, I get a request to assist another agency who are all busy north county. There is a deer that has been hit by a car needs to be dispatched. Its out of town by 3 miles. I hurry to prevent further suffering or accidents. I get close and get flagged down.

********warning********
the deer is stumbling around the side of the road. both of its back legs are broken off at the knees, but still attached. The deer is panicked and running around. I knock on the house tell the lady, who is in tears about the deer, that there will be gunfire. I have the man step away and wait for the deer to lay down. The deer is still faster and panicked to get away, but it lays down. I approach, quietly/calmly. I have never ended the life of anything like this (flies/fish/roadkill). I get with in a foot, draw, make sure my shot will not go anywhere unsafe and take the best guess at a lethal shot. I fire three times, each time sure it is a lethal shot. The deer barely stirs, but still pants, its brain doesn't realize it isn't connect to the body anymore. The body doesn't realize its supposed to stop. The man offers to drag the deer to the side of the road so animal control can pick it up and the lady doesn't have to see dead deer.
The man grabs the deer, starts dragging, deer kicks the man and stumbles to a corner of the yard to lay down. He is amazed the deer is still going, especially after he had already lifted the deer's head and examined the wounds.

The man says he will wait a little more and then drag the deer. I thank the man and leave.
I return town knowing why the other guy keeps a rifle in the car and I will to figure out the best shot to kill a deer instantly. Sad and hard to watch, hard to do, but letting the deer suffer was worse. Seeing the deer so desperate to get away, to live, suffering through injury, makes me respect a "simple" animal, when the little shit gets me down. The deer deserving more than some people. I can't tell my wife. I can't tell anyone but a buddy who works across town. He knows. He has had the same less terrible situation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I'm sorry you had to do that. You might want to talk to someone who is experienced with hunting, they tend to have good knowledge of where to hit for a quick kill.

(a "good" hunter, I should say... not drunks that shoot at anything that moves from the comfort of their oversized mud-mobiles)

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is entirely the type of experience I want my husband to tell me about. Yes it is difficult. It is difficult for him to tell me, and for me to hear, but it is so important. Everyone is different, but for me, for my relationship with my husband, this is the kind of thing I need to know.

h.

10:12 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

wife didn't want to hear sufffering animal part.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home