Monday, April 27, 2009

By the way

I am waiting for briefing. Loaded and ready to go, when Dispatch sends an officer to a vandalism.

He isn't ready, not even dressed.

-Dispatch, I take the call

I arrived on scene.

"My brother cut the tires on my friends car."

Dispatch "there is a 30 person fight in bumsville"

I apologize to her and say I will return after the fight.

15 minutes of running code only to be 30 seconds out, when the first officer calls out.

"responsible parties left and looks like a soccer game broke out"
great turn around hump it back to the vandalism call.

-Sorry about that you were saying about your brother?

"He slashed my friends tires."
-okay tell me about it
"oh yeah he also choked me, until I lost consciousness and I think I got this 4 inch cut on my arm"

blink.....blink...blink

I get the whole story and talk to witness.

Brother came in the back door waving a knife, acting like he was on meth and asking about his niece and nephew. He got into a scuffle with his sister which moved into the bathroom. He put sister into a headlock, choking her. She passes out hits her arm, opening the wound on her arm. He yells her name, runs out of the house and then returns a short time later, still holding the knife and then leaves again. Friend of sister sees him crouched by the tires, knife in hand, and he runs when spotted. Friends checks on the tires both are losing air fast.

Brother's statement....."I want to talk to a lawyer"
-ok you are under arrest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Is it true you can't ask someone any more questions once they ask for a lawyer, or is that just a TV thing?

1:19 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

there are two schools of thinking
1-don't ask them anything, they invoked
2-you can ask them anything, it's their right to be silent if they answer it's their choice.

I tend to mix it up. Some guys can't stop talking, even when mirandized. those are all free.
if you continue asking them questions they could argue they had invoked and all the statements are inadmissable. the arguement against that is the have the right to remain silent, they chose to answer.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home