Monday, May 19, 2008

Week off

i got to take a week of this past week. it was going to be the week before but i forgot jury duty. jury duty went like this. show up Wednesday, fill out form, watch video (didn't work), leave, call for the next two days. yeah, they never needed me. Why? college education and a work history of at risk teens, mental health and law, who would want me on a jury?

"THAT ASSHOLE IS GUILTY!" would most likely be the words coming out of my mouth.
Jury duty is nothing like muni court. 40 people waiting to talk to the judge about a ticket. the judge is to new to know to run/divide the people.
1-guilty
2-no contest
3- not guilty
4- trial
so every one gets called one at a time and has a story. if you are there on one thing the judge drags you into a verbal match with the accused
"i was not speeding"
i had the vehicle on radar and paced it for 3 blocks
"well, i wasn't speeding, ask my 8 yr old"
(to myself) yeah because the 8 yr in the backseat isn't going to support dad and was at angle to see it.

or my new favorite. I run a car. The guy is suspended. There is no other vehicles in the lot for the store. I wait for a while, but he doesn't come out. I go in the store only 1 customer.
are you jim?
"yes"
did you driver here?
"yes"
is that your car?
"yes"
did you know you are suspended?
"what?"
come outside I'll show you.
"ok"
(showing records that state suspended) there you are.
"oh crap"
hey, since you have been cooperative, telling me you drove and what not, I won't tow your car. I'll cite you and you can have a licensed driver pick up the car.
"thanks, i will call and have my wife pick me up".

Fast forward 3 months. The guy now says his wife was driving the car, but was in the bathroom. He didn't want to get her in trouble (evidently she might have been suspended too). But he definitely wants to fight the ticket.

Great, can't wait. Do you know what false information is ??????


Anyhow back to the week off. Get 6 hours sleep, go to the inlaws. Which is a hoot. Because I am awake generally 2 pm to 6am, so it makes interaction odd.

But my father inlaw takes me turkey hunting. First time I have been hunting. It is a 5 am drive to the Dalles from Bend to his brother's 60+ acres. We hike all over the property and into some of the water shed a good 5 hours hike. It yields 0 turkeys, but 1 coyote, 1 rattlesnake, 1 newborn deer, and 15 deer. My FIL is bummed, he can't even get one to respond to his calls. Which is odd turkeys are vocal and dumb. But I did find the rattlesnake, which we dispatch and bury so it won't hurt the cows, kids, dogs or FIL's brother.

The good news is I find a local property owner who has a permit for out of season turkey "extermination" (ie they have permission from Wildlife to hunt male and female turkeys off their land ...roughly 500). Evidently the southern Oregon area is a playground for turkey, no really good predators. Also might be a cougar on the property, which will make it interesting. I am going to scope out the property this week get a little idea how big the place is. FIL is going Alaska for a week so if I can get an idea of how big the properties and if there are any birds around before hand the better.

Also brudda is right. Shut up when Sgt talks to you. "i understand", "yes", "i'll do it", "right away" are all the correct answers. Even when he has told you something contrary in the past. Even when he told you otherwise. Sgt is always right, even when he isn't. Besides the stuff that I am doing wrong is because I am working and learning. Not sitting on my arse or doing major screw ups like forgetting to give Miranda warnings. I am still hoping to have time off for camping and brudda's visit. Maybe he will eat buffalo steaks with me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Raindog said...

I'll eat buffalo steaks with you Brudda.

Rd.

P.S. Might Arrow Pale Ale from New Belgium is very tasty as is Scrimshaw Pilsner from North Coast Brewery. Give them a try.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

I never thought much about cops having to go to court too... is that something you have to schedule in to your regular work day?

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, ditch RD.. I'll eat buffalo steaks with you!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home