Monday, January 19, 2009

,28% in a barrel

I had a reserve officer with me for a whole shift. All night I tried to find something interesting for him. Nothing, until the last couple hours we are going a down a residential street. There is a car half way in a driveway blocking the lane. I assume it is a person dropping someone off and stop so they can pull out safely. The car pulls out and parks in the lane and turns the light off.

I pull even with the car motion for him to roll down his window.
-you can't park here, it's a traffic hazard-
the driver looks as responsive as a puppet. he turns, slowly looks at me and doesn't say anything.

the reserve even recognizes it. "he is wasted"
reverse, pull my car behind the guy's vehicle and turn on the lights.

-hey whats going on?-
"trying to get home"
-you don't live here? why did you park here?
"I don't live here. I just don't think i should drive anymore"
-how much you had to drink
"2 beers"

He fumbles his paperwork, he has been drinking. He says he will do the test. He fails 18 out of 18 idicator. There is a 6 cold beers in the car.

I take him to jail. He is sorry. He says he is a good guy and has kids. I ask him if he would want someone in his conditions driving near his kids.
He is silent and begins crying, "no, i shouldn't be driving"

he blows a .28% at 9 PM. he is worried he has a job interview at 8 am about an hour a way. He won't make it. His car was towed and he won't be sober enough to be released in time.

I ask how much he really had. "2 beers, 2 glasses of wine and 2 margaritas" in less than two hours. the guy isn't big enough to handle that volume of alcohol

I have had several people "comment" during traffic stops.
"don't you have anything better to do?"
4 murders in the last year and 25+ related traffic fatalities in the past year, in our area (not to mention injuries etc).
i would say traffic enforcement is important.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Do you tell them about the 25 traffic fatalities? It seems like the kind of thing that would shut someone like that up.

(although, anyone who would say something like that in the first place would probably not be easily shut up)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home