Sunday, January 04, 2009

Holidays

Holidays away from work were great.

The work angle was not as festive.
Christmas only had myself and one other officer. He got the Christmas body. Christmas brought the relatives who hadn't seen the brother for two weeks and discovered their brother dead. They go see him on Christmas and find him. No family time just hours speaking with an officer, waiting and making arrangements.

New Years brought the call from from another department, requesting contact with a lady. Her father has passed and they want personal contact. I get to drive out into the night to tell Jane her father is dead. I knock and announce, can I come in? I have some bad news. You need to call your sister. Is there anything I can do for you?
I stand around while they call family and cry. I stand there. There is nothing I can do. I give my condolences. I can't do anything. Then I get to leave, off to the next call, leaving Jane with her daughter and her grief.

I also get the call. MJ got my old job. MJ is excited, no longer working a tolerable job, he will get to do LE and the thrill. MJ thanks me for the reference and the push for him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I'm sorry you had such a crappy call on New Years. It's a crappy call to have on any day.

Congrats to your friend on his new job :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

It put the holidays into perspective. appreciate what you got.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

I bet there's a lot in your job that reminds you of that.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home