Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lady in the night

It's slow.
I assist OSP on a traffic stop. I am talking with the training officer shadowing the primary officer.
Across the street I see a couple walking through the parking lot. They are together and then go behind a snow bank. Then I see the female waling one way and the male the other. They are exchanging middle fingers as they walk their separate way.

I clear the traffic stop and do one of my own. I am flagged down by a guy.
"There is a young lady by the store. She is bleeding and crying".
-thanks
I clear the stop and go to the store.
"She just left going that way. She was crying and bleeding, but would not let me help her."
-thanks

I call out I am looking for possible assault victim in area.

I find her shortly after. She doesn't want to talk to me. She doesn't want to stop walking. She is crying and her lip is split open in the corner.
It takes me three minutes to get her stop walking, so I can see the lip. It takes another 3 minutes to get her id.
She fell. It was her I saw earlier. I ask who he was. She won't say. She fell. It is not an injury from a fall. She wants to go to her sisters. She refuse medical. She refuses to say who "He" is, but she going to move back to Washington. I offer advise, counseling, medical etc.
"I'm fine"
She won't tell me anything more, but thanks me and walks to her sister's house.

Nothing I can do. someone punched her. there was no fall.

An hour later the Hospital calls with possible assault victim and another officer is assigned. I call them and give them the update. The officer checks in, but gets the story.
"I fell, when 3 guys burst into my male friends house. I am not saying anything else."

She knows he hit her, but she won't say. Most likely it will happen again.
Nothing I can do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

She probably figures he'll change. It's amazing how emotions can blind people to the obvious sometimes.

I hope she gets help before something worse happens.

3:40 PM  
Blogger deputydog said...

i doubt it.
emotions will blind her

12:07 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Sadly, you are probably right... it kills me to see situations like this, where someone is blind to reality. There's only so much you can say to a brick wall, but sometimes some of the good words sink in - maybe not right away, but what you say to her can float in the back of her mind, and possibly chip away at the cloudy vision.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home