Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Almost

A slow grave shift.
6 hours into a quiet Monday.

A call comes for a car in the ditch, no one around.
I come the area, no car in a ditch.
It's either same car reported earlier or the person got the car out and drove off. A frequent DUI trick.
I search for about 15 minutes, requesting better location and contact with RP.
No RP info and no better location.
I start would was going to be my last pass.

"2nd caller reports car in ditch vehicle just south of where you are."

I get on the on ramp and there in the median is the vehicle. lights on no one around. it's totalled, having been rolled 8 times.

I get out of the call and call out position.

I see something odd.

-I need medical and fire started asap, I got a body

I thought the person was curled up against the driver side of the car, maybe asleep/passed out.

He was thrown during the rollover and the car came to rest on top of him. All of his limbs are under the car. His face is pushed into the back tire.

-hey buddy can you hear me?

He responds, " unhhhhhhhhh"

-i got a male pinned under vehicle, barely conscious.

City arrives on scene, all of them that are on duty. they want to lift the car off him.

-no way let medical do it.

The fact there could be neck or spine injuries for one. As well as the fact as soon as pressure gets off those limb, whatever blood is not flowing will now start flowing with a vengeance.

Fire arrives, Ambulance arrives,

the guy smells like alcohol. fire uses air bags to lift the car off him and take him to the hospital.

the car isn't his. i have to search for family members and phone numbers. i half to wake up the brother.

-i can't find phone for anyone else. your brother was in accident and is at the hospital. do you have the number's for any family members?

he does. mom works at the ER, but isn't working tonight.

i go to the hospital. the guy has a huge open wound on his right leg about 8". The left leg is open from the knee to his thigh on the inside. I can see knee and bone

I read a barely conscious man a form and have the blood drawn for testing.

Mother arrives say her son is on probation for car theft and the car most likely is stolen. The neighbor has been giving her son alcohol. He has no driving privileges.

The xray, the check for spine and head injuries. And rush him to surgery.

I attempt contact with owner of the vehicle. No one answers the phone or the door. I have the vehicle towed. I have to sit in 20 degree weather, waiting for the tow, using my light to highlight the wreckage.

I let day shift know the vehicle's owner maybe calling about the car.


one minute later I would have left the area.

2 Comments:

Blogger PeppyPilotGirl said...

Thank God you didn't. For your own sake, as much as his.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

I'm amazed he survived that crash, it's a good thing you found him. Sucks that you had to wait for a tow.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home